Pages

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Funnies in traffic

To give some Christmas smiles to friends back on the other side of the Atlantic, I wanted to capture the traffic signs that have made me laugh while driving in US.
The beauty of the amusement is simply in the eye of the beholder. Especially when the beholder is a foreigner and seeing things for the first time ;o)

Last July when driving around Houston airport I could not stop laughing about this sign:
It was July, weather was probably around +40 C / 104 F and then these signs stand tall all over the place, where there are bridges. For foreigner the selection of words is really funny.

In best case scenario there could be group of German, Swedish or even Japanese tourists standing on the bridge watching FOR ice with their cameras flashing :o) In Finnish language we do not have the prepositions...so Finns would just drive by and scratch their head and silently mumble "those Americans are bit strange".

Maybe after such tourist staring at the ice event though, they would then change the signs to have "watch out - ice on the bridge" ;o)

In November while driving in Mobile and Calvert without navigation and trying to surf my way through the traffic sign jungle, I bumped into these ones:

Using the term "shoulder" in the traffic is totally new to me. So, at 7 am under the impact of jet lag, driving the first day to the client site...I was nearly having a laugh attack in the car.The only thing I could relate at that moment with the "shoulder" was a human shoulder.

My mind ran off to do its funny versions: in the middle of nowhere, there is the chance to get shoulder fixed if needed and for those, where there is no hope left - there is a dropp-off point. That one can call service indeed! There's something for other countries to take a note from.

In the meanwhile I have learned what shoulder in traffic means...but must admit, I still cannot stop smiling when I see those signs ;o)

The next ones gets my smile as well, every time:
We have somewhat similar sign in Finland but it does not contain any words and it means "prohibited driving direction". Those signs are only to indicate the driving direction. E.g. some of the Helsinki city streets are one way streets and there you see the "prohibited driving direction" signs frequently.

You got to love this US version, being a very straight forward sign: WRONG WAY.
Again me being new to these signs...I was thinking out loud to my fiancé that normally one could see from the cars coming towards you that this is pretty much the wrong way to drive. It is stating the obvious boldly and would be actually more suitable to Finnish thinking too - being straight to the point.



2 comments:

  1. Terveiset lumettomasta Suomesta. Laitoin sinut blogilistalleni :-).
    Jos haluat kurkistaa blogiini:
    http://purjein.blogspot.fi/
    terveisin: Tiina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listattu, sinun molemmat blogit, minun seurantalistalle :o) Taalla yritan juuri kiria kaikkia hauskoja tempauksia/kokemuksia kasaan :o)

      Delete

 

Translate

Share this PostPin ThisEmail This
 
Blogger Templates