Pages

Monday, December 2, 2013

Excursion to my new future

Sometimes things just fall into their places...
Unexpectedly I got the chance to get view on my own to the American daily life prior to moving.
One week in Mobile (which is funny enough pronounced like mobil due to the Native Americans Mobilians http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobilian), Alabama is a great way to get the pre-taste of what will soon be my new life in America.

It's the little things that one starts paying attention to and appreciate when being outside the familiar surroundings.
My TomTom (aka Tomski) did not cooperate before the flight and thus I had no US map available when I took off from the Mobile airport with the rental car. Trusted enough to my wash proof Finnish orientation skills and decided that I will give it a shot to find my way to the hotel without navigation system. Worked out beautifully.

Managed to even amaze 3 Norwegians , whom I got to know at the Atlanta airport while waiting for the Mobile flight. They happened to stay in the same hotel with me. We left from the airport roughly at the same time, they took taxi and I drove my rental car. I arrived at the hotel only few minutes after them. Long live Finnish orientation classes! (....which though everyone dislikes greatly at school age but they do seem service the purpose)

This morning, when driving to the project site, again without navigation...was really smiling and feeling like singing "Living in America...."

I know it sounds silly as such.... But if one looks alone at the traffic signs, they are so different from each other (Finnish vs American). Another thing is that Finnish style to give indication in the traffic is more "search and you shall find guidance", where as American style is "we will inform you even those things, which are self evident".  The first time on the road in Texas during summer holiday felt like information overload. Here in Alabama that feeling followed during the first day. But one starts getting used to the busy scenery and learns rather targeted approach to get the necessary information.

Hope I can get a photo as an example of one of the intersections, where the amount of traffic sign pile in Mobile, Alabama looks like equally busy as the advertisement for Black Friday sales. Also noticed that at least cars in Alabama do not carry license plate in the front of the car. I know totally unimportant...but just shows that one really pays attention on a whole different level when being outside the comfort zone.

Alone today's experience here has definitely increased my confidence of being able to adopt rather fast to the local culture(s).
The feeling was amazing when I got to the office...that I will not forget so easily. I was smiling the whole drive and thinking to myself: "This is pretty awesome, I am driving to work in USA!" (I never could have imagined to get to live there one day, yet it has always been a dream hidden somewhere deep.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the US! Delightful blog. Does your I-phone work? I use the free Mapquest app as my GPS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mom! Thank you ;o)
    My iPhone works but....I got not data connectivity. So, it is only looking pretty during this trip unless there is WIFI. But have managed quite well without navigation help. Taught myself own system how to memorize the routes. Called also TomTom support yesterday evening, stayed in the office till 8.30 pm in the hope of finally getting the map succesfully downloaded. Unfortunately it failed again...maybe today after 4 days of attempting to download the US map to TomTom it finally works :o)

    ReplyDelete

 

Translate

Share this PostPin ThisEmail This
 
Blogger Templates