Pages

Monday, March 10, 2014

Winter....

I tend to say that where ever I go I take the best things from each country (where I've lived) with me. But it might have been taken bit too literally this time :o)

Whilst in Finland the winter has been super mild and short, compared to the 3 previous winters. In Houston it has been "record cold" winter. Alabama, where I am regularly for work, I got to witness what one calls the winter storm (read: winter chaos) for 3 days.

On Monday everyone was stating that following day one should stay in the home office mode. I was too stubborn to take that. I drove early in the morning to the office, roads were dry. Funny enough at the office there was pretty much only me, a Swede, a German and another Finn.

In the afternoon it was not raining just slush or snowing, it was raining ice. I made my way back to hotel timely and drove like I have been taught to drive in the Finnish driving school.

On that 1 hour drive back to the hotel I realized why the locals were so anxious to stay home to start with. The roads where straight from formula 1 nightmare. Cars were all over banged against poles, in the ditch. As one could say, I know to trust my own driving in winter conditions....but I cannot trust anyone else around here.

Grown up in the wintery conditions as I have and having the understanding what icy road means to moving vehicle and how to control it....it was an eye opening experience and made me realize that there is big part of the nation, who do not understand the simple laws of physics. From that perspective I understand the urge to keep everyone home and make the snow storm sound as terrifying as possible.
As the more of those maniacs are on the road, who drive carelessly, the more hopeless and dangerous the situation gets for everyone, incl. the police forces.

At the end this chaos lasted 3 days. I was stuck at the hotel for 2 days and there was absolutely nothing open. Not even restaurants (other than the one at hotel). It was reliving feeling to get back to office after those days and see people, be on the move.

Views from the road

 Does not seem like a lot of snow....

 Hotel's pool was empty for some reason :o) (surrounded by snow on the ground)

Some links to local news about the snow storm "Leon"
http://www.weather.com/news/commuter-conditions/mobile-alabama-travel-forecast-winter-storm-leon-20140129

http://blog.al.com/live/2014/01/southwest_alabama_gears_up_for.html

As fun fact comparison view of my car during winter 2013 in Finland (snow which arrived over night):
...and the story goes that a certain Finnish lady brushed the snow off from her car and drove to work with it.....just like everyone else in the whole country :o)



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Translate

Share this PostPin ThisEmail This
 
Blogger Templates