Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Houston Health Care Mecca part II - Experiencing the hospital in the American way

Now that I am on sick leave and in strict bed rest, I will have time to finish all the blog drafts I have have stored for the day when I have time :)
But first, let me share with you how I got to this point. I will spare you from details but my very first hospital experience ever is definitely worth sharing. As it was great!

I am having the private project called pregnancy in progress. The ride has been bit bumpy but more of that, and pregnancy, in my other blog I will start writing (LINK).

So few weeks back my project manager's mind & body was in the mode of trying to accelerate things. In project environment any kind of acceleration is good and I am professionally known to turn the toughest projects around and bring them to goal in schedule. Which often means motivating the team to push hard and find the means to accelerate where ever possible. But as everyone with common sense knows, acceleration does not work well for pregnancies. Which meant that my doctor, Dr Michael Piegari, wanted to check me in to the hospital for expert team check and second opinion on what the options are to secure the rest of the pregnancy.

I thought I was going just for a quick check to the Memorial Hermann Children's Hospital but little did I know. I was informed while waiting for my doctors orders to have reached the hospital that at minimum I would stay over the night.

I was brought to my room....Yes, I got my very own room!
I have not been myself in hospital ever before but have visited plenty of friends and family in Finnish hospitals. Unless you are in the intense care unit, you normally do not get your own room. In the best case you are sharing it with 8 - 10 people. Which can be good from social perspective but in such cases you also share the tv and do not really have much control of the noise level. So, getting my own room was surprising me totally.

I got settled to my hospital gown and to my bed, which felt comfy enough. My doctor came to check that everything is okay with me and guided me little bit about the expert team and their way of working. Again, having a doctor that actually shows that he cares for his patients...priceless! After the talks with him I was pretty much in the relax mode, ready to experience my very first time in the hospital.

Next scene could have been directly from the Dr House tv series. I got the expert team and all the residents (medical students) taking over my room and surrounding my bed. There were 7 of them in total, which made me smile. As I was just thinking:"If there are those seven plus my doctor taking care of getting my body out of the acceleration mode....yeah, it will well taken care of." Just like in Dr House they asked all kinds of questions and I explained what I think had happened and what I had sensed.

What I liked about this whole thing was that everyone was very clear in communication. Things were explained thoroughly, I was given the understanding of the options and why something was considered a better option than another. I was asked 100 times if I had any questions, nobody was in a rush to get out of my room. All that left me pretty much with no other choice than relax and take it easy.

I got really funny reaction from the expert team 2 days later, when they asked if all is okay and I have been taken care by the nurses and gotten food. I shared that on top of everything else, I was excited that one can order the meals from a room service and the food was actually good. The look on their face was worth seeing. I could see that one of them was checking if I was still having any of the Magnesium Sulfate drops coming through the IV (makes you super relaxed) or I really coherently meant what I said. I mean...room service in a hospital! It is a small thing but makes the experience again so much more personalized.

Some of my friends in Europe commented, when I shared with them about where I had been past few days:"Oh, you must have been so stressed and in panic about having to go to hospital!"
Yes, had I been anywhere else than in Houston, where I was in one of the leading hospitals for risk pregnancies...I sure would have. But like said, this experience was very positive. The staff around me (my doctor, the hospital's expert team, the nurses) were all very professional and treated me like a human. The night nurse, while starting the medication during the first night and needing to monitor for the rest of the shift gave great advice on how to prepare to tolerate the pain during labor without extra medication. She was definitely making me feel like I was in good hands and I did not mind getting injection at 1 am or staying awake for monitoring.

Two weeks later...I am spending my days on the couch or in bed but so far with success. The body has gotten off from the acceleration mode. I take each day with gratitude, as that is one day more for the baby to "bake in the oven" and increasing the chance for a good start.

Since this pregnancy was determined to be a bumpy ride in a very literal meaning, I sure am happy to go through it in Houston. Surrounded by the top hospital and medical experts. As my doctor put it well: "Taking care of the mother is still easier, even in risk situations. As adult body gives more time to react. Taking care of premature infant or infant at risk....then it is down to handful of minutes to react and take the right actions."

2 comments:

 

Translate

Share this PostPin ThisEmail This
 
Blogger Templates